EUTF Retiree – Eligibility
Eligibility for coverage is determined by the Hawaii Revised Statute and by the Administrative Rules adopted by the EUTF Board of Trustees. Requests for enrollments, terminations, and other changes must be submitted to the EUTF. If you have any questions concerning eligibility provisions, you should refer to the Administrative Rules & Statutes.
You may also call the EUTF Customer Service Call Center at (808) 586-7390 or toll free at 1-800-295-0089 or email your inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following persons are eligible to enroll in the benefit plans offered or sponsored by the EUTF for Retirees:
- A retired employee. You do not need to be covered under an EUTF Active Employee Plan at the time of retirement to be eligible to enroll in the EUTF retiree plans.
- The surviving spouse, Domestic Partner or Civil Union Partner (DP/CUP) of a deceased retired employee, provided the spouse or DP/CUP does not remarry or enter into another domestic or civil union partnership.
- The unmarried child of a deceased retired employee, provided the child is under age 19 with no surviving parent.
The following persons are eligible for coverage as dependents in the benefit plans offered or sponsored by the EUTF for Retirees:
- The Retiree’s legal Spouse, Domestic Partner or Civil Union Partner(DP/CUP).
- Note: A spouse or partner who is eligible for Medicare must be enrolled in Medicare Part B to be covered by an EUTF retiree medical and/or prescription drug plan.
- You or your spouse’s or DP’s/CUP’s unmarried children under age 19. This includes children by birth, marriage or adoption. Dependent children by legal guardianship are covered to age 18.
- You or your spouse’s or DP/CUP’s unmarried children under the age of 24 provided they are full-time students attending an accredited college, university or technical school. This includes children who are away at school and dependent upon you for support.
- Coverage can be continued for an unmarried child incapable of self-support due to mental/physical incapacity that existed prior to age 19.
- Child covered by terms of a qualified medical child support order (QMCSO) provided they meet EUTF’s other qualifications.
A person in a spouse-like relationship with an employee-beneficiary who meets the following requirements:
- Intend to remain in a domestic partnership with each other indefinitely.
- Have a common residence and intend to reside together indefinitely.
- Jointly and severally responsible for each others basic living expenses incurred in the domestic partnership such as food, shelter and medical care.
- Neither are married or a member of another domestic partnership.
- Not related by blood in a way that would prevent them from being married to each other in the State of Hawaii.
- Both at least 18 years of age and mentally competent to contract.
- Consent to the domestic partnership has not been obtained by force, duress or fraud.
- Both sign and file a notarized declaration of domestic partnership (affidavit) with the EUTF.
Civil Union Partner
A person who has entered into a legal civil union partnership with an employee-beneficiary which is recognized by a state government. Documentation of the civil union must be provided with the application to enroll.
There may be Federal and State Income Tax consequences with employer paid coverage for domestic partners. There may be Federal Income Tax consequences with employer paid coverage for civil union partners. If your domestic partner does not qualify as your dependent for tax purposes, a portion of the premium paid for your domestic partner will be deemed taxable income and reported to you on the appropriate federal or state tax form. If your civil union partner does not qualify as your dependent for tax purposes, a portion of the premium paid for your civil union partner will be deemed taxable income and reported to you on the appropriate federal tax form. Consult your tax advisor to determine your domestic or civil union partner’s status. If you determine that your domestic or civil union partner is a dependent, submit a completed Affidavit of “Dependency” for Tax Purposes, available on the EUTF retiree forms page.